Friday, April 6, 2012

Best Churches / Chapels I've visited in Luzon

Being far away with family is a hard experience. As much as I want to stay near with them, but I can’t. There are priorities need to concentrate on. It started when I studied in college. My family was in Valenzuela City then moved to Bustos, Bulacan. So, I have to look for a dormitory then rented a condo unit. 

When I'm alone, have free time or pass by a church. I have this zeal of getting inside of it. I love the feeling of talking and praying to God. I feel like I’m renewed and changed after I visit a church. 

Though I’m alone and far away with my loved-ones, I believe there will always be someone who is with me. The most powerful of all – God. 

For five years, I just realized how many churches I’ve visited alone and with loved-ones from different parts of Luzon.

In celebration of the Holy Week, I reminisced and compiled the few churches and chapels that I’ve visited around Luzon – specifically Metro Manila, Pampanga, Batangas and Bulacan.


Manila
Getting inside the "Mother of all the Churches" in the Philippines - San Agustin Church
.
San Agustin Church – Constructed in 1587 and finished in 1604. 
I guess the first church I’ve ever visited on my first year of college. We are required to travel and explore the heart of Manila, “Intramuros” for a project in a minor subject. I went in Intramuros before when we had an educational trip back then I was in elementary and secondary. It was just near the historical and famous attraction, Fort Santiago.
I remembered when we’re there, a wedding was held. I even shared to my project in a class that someday I also want to get hitched there. 

Manila Cathedral - Erected in 1581, was made from nipa and bamboo. The last time I went there, when we had a shoot for an investigatory project in a journalism class. My mom even told me she went there to visit Cardinal Sin's burial.



Quiapo Church - (Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene) This is where you can find the famous Black Nazarene Icon. It's located at the Quezon Boulevard, near Far Eastern University - Manila. When I was studying, I walk to Quiapo Church from my school or dorm. The best time to go to Quiapo is every Friday. You can see a lot of devotees of the Black Nazarene. (Photo courtesy of metropolitanmanila.com)

Twin Churches of Bustillos





Twin Churches of Bustillos -
Our Lady of Loreto Church (Left)
St. Anthony Of Padua Shrine (Right)
- Situated near the LRT2 Legarda Station and National University.  When my brother and I moved to a new dorm, we discovered that there's a twin church located near FEU. I remembered when I joined Eat Bulaga for the college cheerleaders edition of Sa Pula, Sa Puti. I lit a candle at the grotto to make a wish to win the noon time show's contest. I came back again just to thank for hitting the jackpot worth P200,000.00 (Photo courtesy of philippinetravelnotes.blogspot.com)


Our Lady of Remedies Church / Malate Church - I got to know this church because of the FEU Cheering Squad. After having the team's Christmas party, my teammates decided to go to Malate. When it was already dawn, we chose to stay in Malate Church to attend simbang gabi.


St. Jude Thaddeus Parish - At first, I didn't know where St. Jude is located. But I heard for a couple of times that it's a must-visit for those who are brokenhearted and depressed. When I had my OJT at ABS-CBN, my co-intern told me she goes to St. Jude at least once a week. With my curiosity, after finishing my internship I decided to look for this church. It's near the twin churches of Bustillos and just beside the Malacanang Palace. After having novena every Thursdays, I invited my brother to attend the novena with me. I was surprised that he finished the novena for nine consecutive Thursdays. I guess, what made us come back here is that there are plenty of students and elders gather everyday.


Our Lady of Pilar Parish Church / Sta. Cruz Church - On my third year in college, I got to know this when I went alone to Binondo. The last time, I got here when I claimed a GC at the Port where Philippine Star's headquarters is located. I remembered it was Wednesday. So, I prayed in front of the altar of Mother of Perpetual Help. (Photo courtesy of imagesphilippines.com)

UST Church / Santisimo Rosario Parish  - It was in 2009 when I attended simbang gabi in UST Church. Sometimes I wake up at 4:00 am to jog around here. The oldest existing university in Asia was visited by two popes Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II.
FEU Chapel - The Tamaraws boast this landmark in the campus. Being a four-year student of FEU , I'm proud of its rich history. It was noted to be one of the most expensive chapels in the country because of its art deco inside. The chapel was designed by Felipe Mendoza. It has also become a repository of artworks by a national artist, Carlos "Botong" Francisco, of an image of the crucified Christ on the altar, a Station of the Cross mural, and on its facade is a mosaic image of Our Lady of Fatima.
       
                                                                        Quezon City

Sancturio de San Pedro de Bautista
- After staying in a dorm for almost a year, my brother decided us to stay in a condo at Frisco. Not knowing that behind our condo is situated a beautiful and serene church. Every time I go out for a performance or any "raket", I always pray there to thank and ask guidance. I had attended mass and simbang gabi. I was even touched when one sunday mass, someone gave me a rosary and chaplet. My family fell in love to this sacred place. Last December 2011, our contract to our rented condo was ended. But I promise, even if I'm already far away to Frisco. I still have the reason to go back. It's visiting this church.
Right now, I missed this church. So much! 
ABS-CBN Chapel / Chapel of Annunciation -
When I'm not doing anything in ABS-CBN, I visit the Chapel of Annuciation. It's located beside the cafeteria and audience entrance inside the ABS-CBN compound. The last time I attended the mass here was the Feast of the Immaculate Conception with my teammate, Frej Capao. 
(Photo courtesy of pinoyguyguide.com)
                        Paranaque     
                            
             Baclaran Church / National Shrine of our Mother of Perpetual Help / Redemptorist Church - The famous church located at Baclaran, near LRT 1. My family has been there a couple of times. A lot of devotees have been going to Baclaran church every Wednsday. Since we moved to Bulacan, I hardly go to Baclaran. Instead, I watch the novena online. www.ustream.tv/channel/novena-in-baclaran
(Photo courtesy of skyscrapercity.com)
                                     
           Valenzuela City

San Isidro Labrador Parish - I grew up in Valenzuela City for 18 years. With that long span of years, I had attended mass, wedding and baptism with my family going to San Isidro located at Malinta, Valenzuela City. I also missed going here. Of all the churches I've visited, this would have a lot of childhood and teen memories. 
(Photo courtesy of flickr.com/photos/12141389@N00/274551053)





 National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima - The last time I have been here was in December 2011. I was with friends. Way back in high school, we attended mass with classmates and friends too. Since I have a lot friends who reside near the Fatima church.

Parish of the Risen Lord - In high school, I would visit this church with my mom. Sometimes, my family and relatives would accompany me. A lot of wedding and baptism of my relatives also held here.
                                               



                        Batangas

San Raphael Parish Church - Every time we go to Batangas, my family and relatives never fail to visit this old and historical church located in Calaca, Batangas. Since I was a kid, my Batangas-based relatives would get me as flower girl or abay to their wedding. This church has been the witness of my relatives' baptism and wedding. Beside this church is a cemetery where my grandparents were buried. (Photo courtesy of dontrivino.com)                                                          
                                                                       Bulacan


Sto. Nino de Bustos Parish - In our house in Bulacan, this is the nearest church located at Bustos, Bulacan. Last January 2012, my mom and I attended the novena mass of Sto. Nino. I also completed the last year's simbang gabi here.



 St. Augustine Church - When there's no mass at Sto. Nino, my family attend mass here. It is located in the heart Baliuag town in Bulacan. It is here where my first time of entering in an adoration chapel. What I also love about this church is the "Chapel of the Saints" inside of it. Every time the mass ends, I enter at the Chapel of the Saints to talk to the different saints that can be found there.


Sta. Monica Church - This is one of the oldest churches of Bulacan. It is a 400 year-old beautiful church. I always see this church every time I go to Norzagaray. I even attended a mass here alone.



                                              Pampanga
Our Lady of Sorrows Parish - When I was in college, I used to visit my relatives in San Fernando, Pampanga where this church is also located. When I was desparately looking for an internship, I tried to pray and ask to have an OJT at ABS-CBN. Then, I waited and surprisingly received a text message from ABS-CBN. 
(Photo courtesy of panoramio.com)
Metropolitan Cathedral of San Fernando - Whenever my aunt and uncle would go to the market and grocery, they always visit this church. Before we enter the church, we light the candle first at the outside. Then, get inside to pray. (Photo courtesy of pampangadirectory.net)















No comments:

Post a Comment